Saturday, August 19, 2006

 

Product Review: Logitech QuickCam IM now works for Mac OS X with macam

I have a Powerbook with Mac OS X 10.4.x (whatever that is latest as of August 20, 2006) and I finally got my Logitech QuickCam IM to work with it using macam, an open source USB webcam driver thing at: http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/

Apparently all the info was at http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-40663.html

The software from Logitech unfortunately doesn't work and even then it's only for certain models. Wierd that Logitech would include Mac software in the CD. But one thing I didn't notice when I first bought it was to check the OS compatibility. I took a look around the box and sure enough Mac OS is never mentioned. Argh!! But then again even if I had looked for something with Mac support, I would have paid more.

Anyway, glad I found macam. :) Thanks macam folks!
---
Next day... found out that Logitech's claim of 30 fps for video is misleading. I discovered that when I activate the "Low Light Boost" feature, the frame rate drops dramatically. I don't know what the actual number is but everything is stop and go. My PC system is a Centrino 1.7 GHz with Intel integrated graphics 915GM/GMS, 910GML.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?