Wednesday, December 21, 2005

 

Revamp for Nintendo DS? II

Having read through some of Nintendo's 2005 annual report, I am quite interested and amazed how the company has achieved its goal of creating highly engaging electronic entertainment products for everyone. And when I say everyone, it's not because of seeing the photos of people of all ages playing the DS in the report, but it's actually because I *have* seen people of all ages play Nintendo products. I admit I haven't seen much of a DS usage by folks from all ages, but as far as the Game Boy Advance SP is concerned, I have. The usual suspects are young kids around 10 years old plus or minus five years. But I've seen older people play it. And these are people who I wouldn't even think that they've heard of video games. For example, I've seen a motherly woman who looks like she's had several years of cleaning house, disciplining her kids, going through her first home purchase, and I see her relaxing away in front of a Game Boy Advance SP.

So with that in mind, I wonder what Nintendo has up their sleeve in the next say five to ten years. I can guess that they'll continue working on designing new games to capture more audiences. As for the hardware, they've already taken some items from the computing world starting with wireless(B standard actually) and the touch screen/stylus from the PDA computing world. I guess a few things missing are the flash memory and hard drive. There's also USB for a common and standard connectivity protocol and immediate access to an array of products. I'm not sure about Nintendo entering the motion picture retail business like Sony whereby they sell "UMD" versions of movies already out on DVD.

Another interesting thing to roll over...

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?