Saturday, October 08, 2005

 

SingNet Broadband 10 & 25Mbps and Thomson SpeedTouch 585

I recently convinced my wife to recontract her broadband plan to SingNet's Challenger Pack with speeds of (down/up): 10Mbps/1Mbps. She accepted the idea because the plan didn't require a long term commitment, only 3 months! I was so excited to step up to the higher speeds and began wondering how the broadband hardware would change. I knew that the current ADSL modem we used could only go up to 8Mbps so we obviously needed a new modem. Luckily the plan came with a free modem, a Thomson SpeedTouch 585.

Unfortunately that's where the excitement ends. After I received the modem, things just went downhill. The only positve experience was that at one point dslreports.com reported that I was able to download a little over 10Mbps.

Here's the list of bad experiences:

1) Can't use my existing wireless router with it following the previous set up I arranged, where the old adsl modem was set in bridge mode and the router talked to the modem by way of PPPoE sending the ISP login and password.

2) Modem can't be configured to bridge mode, learned that the vendor has to send me some configuration file in order to set it to bridge mode.

Note: I would publish the contents of this configuration file as it's just plain text but it's got over a thousand lines and looks like Blogger has a limit, email me at kfcblog AT gmail /dot\ com and I am more than happy to give.

3) Speed differences:

3.1) If I use the ST585 as is(without the wireless router), I get around 9 to 9.5Mbps. But tonight I got as low as 1Mbps!

3.2) If I configure ST585 to bridge mode and connect the wireless router with it, for some reason I only get around 4 to 4.5 Mbps!

On an unrelated note, if I use my old adsl modem(not ADSL2+ compliant), I get around 6Mbps. But I haven't tested it as much to see if the speeds are consistent.

In the meantime, I'm thinking of buying my own ADSL2+ compliant modem and be done with the ST585. I also don't like the web gui, router security, wireless and generally the difficulties with configuring it.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?