Sunday, October 09, 2005

 

Part II: SingNet Broadband 10 & 25Mbps and Thomson SpeedTouch 585

Yay! Short story is I finally figured out the extra steps needed to configure the ST585 into a modem-only bridge mode device.

The bridge.ini file the vendor sent me did half the story. The other half of the story involved a few items:

1) Absolutely the most important is to turn off DHCP under "Home Networking" -> "Interfaces" -> "Local Network"; and click the "Configure" link located on the top right side of the page. This DHCP left on is the reason why my download speeds were always halved. Both the ST585 and my external wireless router were doing DHCP which slowed things down.

2) Another important item is to turn off the wireless access point feature in the ST585. Following on 1), I don't want any devices to connect to the ST585 other than my external wireless router. And the rest of the devices should only communicate with the modem indirectly via the external wireless router.

3) The ST585 also has some built-in DSL/WAN inspection features which should be turned off because my external wireless router will now handle that. And plus the whole point of configuring the ST585 as a modem-only device in bridge mode is to send the DSL signal unfiltered straight to my external wireless router to handle.
These features are firewall, intrusion detector, UPnP, Address and Content filters, and Remote Assistance. Firewall and intrusion detector need to be disabled by way of CLI. Actually firewall is shown as disabled, but it's not quite there.

3.1) First my computer needs to be connected to the ST585, then I telnet in, enter the username which is Administrator(will be let in immediately), then type "firewall config state=disabled". Next you'll also want to disable intrusion detector by typing "ids config state=disabled". When you're done, type "saveall", "exit" and that's it.

Now I unplug my computer from the ST585 and plug it back to my external wireless router. I also plug my external wireless router to the ST585(in port 1) and also no other devices now connect to the ST585.

Whew!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?