Saturday, October 08, 2005

 

Apple iPod Nano is AWESOME!

Ok, I admit that ever since the iPod first came out, I was never a big believer of the the entire product line. My biggest peeve: hard drive based! With all the movement the player gets, even in Apple's own TV commercial of the user holding the iPod shaking it while listening to music, is just prime for hard drive failures.

I want to relay a related story on hard drive based music players. About a year or so ago before the iPod first came out, I knew of a guy who began having lots of problems with his laptop. My colleagues discovered the root of the problems was due to hard disk failures. After some questioning, the guy said maybe it's because he listens to his mp3 collection off his laptop when he's mobile: walking, taking the bus, whatever. Immediately my colleagues rolled their eyes. They explained to him that the hard drive in the laptop is a fragile item. And just because a computer is in a laptop form doesn't mean it's ok to move it around while computing. The guy had the balls to respond that it should be ok! because he listens to his collection off the smaller hard drive! My colleagues were now way past rolling their eyes. They had to explain to him yet again. There were two issues to go over, 1) the logical and physical sizes of the hard drive do not affect fragility and 2) his laptop had 2 hard drives because it was partitioned.

So back to the iPod, I recently bought the Nano for my wife and have never looked back. I like the size, that it's flash based, the UI including the click wheel and most importantly the entire music experience handled by iTunes. I think when Apple set out to create a nice and luxurious mp3 player, they weren't just focused on that like most companies did, in fact they were looking at the entire music enjoyment experience. That's where iTunes comes in, it helps users build and organize their collection, it easily syncs up songs that users want to listen to on their iPod and finally it has two outlets for users to reach out and get more content in terms of the music store and the podcast directory. Just AWESOME!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?